Monday, January 11, 2010

Nature vs Nurture

The nature vs nurture debate abounds, but maybe more so for adopted children. Last week I held my first after school SAT prep as part of one of the many new initiatives. There were 15 students and 10 of them are Asian. I compliment one of the boys on his advanced explanation and a girl commented on how that never happens in their English class. She said it was his "Asian skills" that make him a better math student than an English student.

It was at this point that we started to talk about our future child. Some of the kids already knew that Frig and I are in the process of adopting a child from Korea, but not all of them did. They reacted very positively to the fact that we are adopting an Asian (Asian pride is a big deal with this group of kids). We talked about how much of their academic skills are because of nature (genes) and how much of it is do to nurture (the way they parents raise them). They agreed that the way they are raised, the high expectations and levels of accountability that their parents have for them, plays a part in their academic success.

It was a very interesting conversation and nice diversion from the 2 hours of math after a full day of school.

Also, one of the boys in the SAT program had known for sometime that we are trying to adopt from Korea and that I hope to learn some Korean before our child comes home. He shared this with his mom and she has offered to teach me. I plan on taking her up on her offer once we have our referral. Maybe she will also teach me how to cook a few Korean dishes!

4 comments:

  1. What a great discussion, Rach!! And how sweet of your student's mom to offer to help teach you Korean!

    I cannot wait till the day you and Frig announce you are going to get your baby!! I don't know a couple who deserves more!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great that you'll be able to learn from that mom! And that would be great if she was able to cook with you as well! So glad to read something new from you. Thinking of you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so exciting that you'll be able to learn some Korean, and maybe be exposed to more of the Korean culture, as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The language part is wonderful!! What a gift.

    -Johnna

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading my blog----Your comments make my day!