Thursday, July 22, 2010

What's in a Name?

My mother-in-law recently asked what we plan to call our son when he arrives home. This is an excellent question that Frig and I have thought a lot about. Seeing as Christian is obviously old enough to know his name very well we are going to call him Jae-won when he initially comes home.

While his name is not the hardest Korean name I have ever had to get used to saying it is also not the easiest either. This is because the Jae is similar to the English name Jay, but not exactly the same. I know I'm still not saying it exactly right from my Korean students' expressions, but I am trying. The "J" isn't as hard as in the name Jay. It is more like a mix of a "z" and a "j" sound. I keep trying to thing of an English word with a similar sound, but it hasn't come to me yet.

We are not exactly sure when we will start to transition him to Christian. Much of that decision will be based on so many factors such as English language acquisition and attachment. My mom suggested that perhaps his Baptism would be a nice time to start the transition, but only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog----Your comments make my day!