Sunday, December 5, 2010

Tree Trimming

Yesterday Christian and I went out and bought what is my very first artificial Christmas tree.We are happily expecting Aunt Robin to visit us for a few days and she doesn't need any extra reason to have allergies when in town. I am pretty happy with the tree for several reason - the top two being less mess and it is a "slim" tree so it takes up less spaces than real tress we have purchased in the past.

This morning after I did a bit of rearranging of furniture, and cleaning which I could not control, I asked Christian to come and help me put the tree in its place. I wish Appa had been there with the camera to see his face. CJ was so surprised when I plugged in the tree and the lights came on, but Appa had been in the garage getting down the Christmas boxes.

Well it took a few tries to get the tee up correctly, and CJ wanted to be helpful so the two adults had to keep their patience about how much longer everything was taking, but we were finally ready to put on a few ornaments. Christian was very helpful as Omma carefully picked the decorations he should hang. However, his interest in the whole affair quickly faded. Appa and I decided that the bulk of the decorating should be completed at a later time, and some outside playing was in order.

While CJ played, Appa made lunch and I worked on getting a few outside lights up. I decided that this year was not a good year for battling with hanging lights on the eaves. It is always such a struggle to get them up and with our helpful toddler it would only be more so this year. Maybe the icicle lights will come out again when CJ is a little more independent, but for now a few on the bushes and the porch will have to do. Well once I had all of the lights up I realized I had a male end nearest me and the extension cord, but thankfully Appa saved the day with an easy fix to my dilemma.

After we ate Christian, Appa and I opened the Nativity set his Mamaw and Papaw gave to him. It had a lot of packaging and CJ was very helpful in throwing it all away when we are done. I have been trying to teach him about the baby Jesus using a book that was mine, but I know he doesn't yet understand what these new "toys" are all about.

After putting CJ down for a nap I headed out for my weekly tutoring gig, but when I returned I finished working on getting the house festive for the upcoming holiday. When he woke it was very cute to see his face when he first noticed the stockings I hung.

This morning I started some chili while the little man ate breakfast. Knowing we had a big day ahead of us I didn't want to have to think about dinner after decorating all day. Appa and I have been sneaking tastes out of the crock pot all day, and are just about to get bowls full for a meal. Appa and son have just returned from turning on the outside lights for the first time. I was told that I did a very good job - CJ was enthralled.


  1. Decorating the tree still doesn't hold much interest for the Things, although T2 does get excited to come home from school to see what new Christmas decorations Mama has put up.

    Could you message me your address again, Rachel? I don't know what the heck I did with it and I want to try to get Christian's puzzles in the mail this week.

  2. Janelle (Nell4Him)December 5, 2010 at 8:21 PM

    I'm glad that you are making an attempt to decorate everything WITH him. I know decorating and doing certain things that I LOVED growing up, I quickly find that my boys are not as interested in and I get upset and frustrated and then I have to calm myself down. I think I expect them to love it like I did. Honestly, I have no idea what ages I was when I loved doing them. It may be exciting to them in a few years.


    You guys are doing a GREAT job!

  3. Kate - Message on the way.

    Janelle - Trust me there was frustration and me saying stuff like "it doesn't matter if it takes all day" out loud to try and calm us down. :) I am glad to hear we aren't the only ones.


Thanks for reading my blog----Your comments make my day!