Tuesday, March 8, 2011

What I Learn From Books

It is not uncommon for CJ to demonstrate new skill acquisition to me while I read a favorite book. The first time this occurred one night at bedtime. He picked out I Don't Have Your Eyes by Carrie Kitze.

He had gone through a long phase of asking for this book regularly, but hadn't requested it in awhile. When I got to the first page, and read the line "I don't have your eyes" he responded by saying "eyes" and pointing to his own. As I progressed through the book he did the same with each body part.Before that night I had no idea that he could identify so many body parts and say their names. He had been holding out on me because it wasn't as if I didn't regularly identify body part during his nightly bath.

That brings me to this weekend. CJ was passing out books from his Tomas the Train four book set, and I was given the one dealing with colors. He snuggled down next to me and I began "Blue". He repeated after me, but this wasn't surprising as his that was one of his first words. However, when I turned the page he again parroted the color. "Red" he repeated after me. This pattern continued with green, yellow, orange and white. Normally when Appa or I make any mention of color he acts like he has no idea what we are talking about. We have even discussed the possibility of him being color blind; turns out that isn't as issue after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading my blog----Your comments make my day!